Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"Finding Out" really means "Lots of Projects!"

Two weeks ago Friday we found out that we are having another BABY GIRL! We couldn't be more excited... of course daddy was a little bummed that he didn't get his little boy, but we can't wait for two little sisters! (Not to mention the money we can save/should be saving...) I always wanted a sister close to my age; Makenzie and I are 11 years apart!
Can you believe the 'inappropriate' pictures they take these days? :)



It surprised us to see our little baby girl suck on her thumb. It was surreal to watch on the monitor as her little arm moved up towards her face, and then to watch her mouth open and move! We didn't get to catch Malia in action, so this was neat!




I have been waiting till this ultrasound before making any big decorative changes. I really wanted to be sure that everything was ok with our little baby and was also looking for a theme and an excuse to redecorate! Little did I know the big project that I was undertaking. We will just mesh it all together and call it the "spring cleaning/re-organizing/re-decorating/& spending a lot of money" project. Yup, I think that title does the trick. I really wish I had taken more before/after pictures, so you will have to use your imagination. Everything revolved around moving Malia into what was our guest bedroom/storage room, cleaning OUT the storage room and finding a new place for all of our stuff that really had no place, cleaning out the toy room and getting rid of the big desk to make more room for baby stuff (swing, excersaucer, bouncer, etc.), moving the desk supplies and finding room for them in the Master bedroom, re-decorating the baby room, and repainting/refinishing old mismatched furniture. That was ALOT of stuff! So... where do I begin? Here is a "before" picture of Malia's room.
Since we were having another girl we agreed that it would be cheaper to use her current room as the NEW "baby room" and to keep the basic lady bug theme with a few changes. I grew tired of the crazy hot pink and wanted a little bit more of a fresh look. I guess I decided that this wild green was a good idea. It took me awhile... 2 coats of primer, and one coat of green... hand-painted to perfection along the lady bug border.


It's a little wild, but I think it is growing on me. I actually really like it with all of the black furniture. The changing table to the right was a free hand-me-down in a completely trashed state. We spray painted it black and it looks good as new!

***
Off to the next room... I really wish I had a before picture of what it looked like. It was a simple room with lots of mismatched furniture and a queen sized bed on a squeaky metal frame. We decided to keep the queen box spring and mattress, but to get a new frame that brought it lower to the ground. I was hoping to re-paint, but Aaron talked me into looking for a bedding set to go with the already blue walls. So, off to IKEA we went where we ended up with quite the load! This was Malia on her first night EVER sleeping on her big girl bed! (Which BTW... this transition has been incredibly easy! Malia is still sleeping through the night and goes down without a fuss for both nap and bed time!)
I love that we chose a bed spread with so many different colors. It made "accessorizing" the room fun. We made several more trips to IKEA, Michael's, and Target over the week...

The dresser in the picture above, and the bookshelf in the picture below were both re-finished as well. That was a weekend of work... I also think these colored picture frames are fun. If you are wondering about the penguin poster, Malia picked it out while we were at Ikea.

Our big girl!

So as I mentioned earlier, in order to create this room we had to clean out ALOT of stuff AND find places for everything. It was major spring cleaning and re-organizing. It sure feels good to be done now! In this room we had a little maple desk that we decided to re-finish and fit into our bedroom. If you've been to our house, you'll remember that upstairs we had a large corner desk that took up half of the toy space. Since neither of us are in school, we've decided to take it down. But, that did mean finding a place for all the junk we stashed away in that huge desk. Thank goodness for the space below our bed! One day that will be a project in and of itself. :) This picture just doesn't do justice to all the hard work, but what you see in the corner there is a condensed version of everything on what is now "Malia's bookshelf" and everything from our big desk. Also, admire the re-finished look of the desk. The nice thing about this little nook is that it cannot be seen by anyone but us!

Oh... since the kids got room makeovers, we got a new bed set too :)

We are now all spring cleaned, re-organized, and ready for baby to come! Well, just about. But it sure feels good to have the big projects done. Oh, and in case you thought we neglected Malia during the past two weekends of work, here are a few pictures of fun stuff we've done like bowling with the cousins and Uncle Mike (who just returned from his two-year mission)...

...and Saturday's market in P-town. Auntie Laura got Malia this cute hat. Malia loves to yell "sun!" when it is in her face, and then pulls her hat down over her eyes and says "all gone!"

And how could I forgot our 45minute wait in line for VooDoo Doughnuts, just to find that they are cash only! Luckily we scrounged a couple dollars together in change, and taste tested this famous treat! They were delicious! I can't wait to go again (during a weekday), with tons of cash!

Well, that is about all we crazy Brewer's have been up to!

3 comments:

Jeralyn said...

Looks great, you guys! Sounds like you've been busy, but sounds like it's been fun, too! And way to go for Malia sleeping so well in a big girl bed!

Kati Howard said...

Cute, Cute, Cute! Looks like you guys have been busy. And Congrats on having another little girl. They will be great sisters. I was a litle bummed at first about having another boy, but having two boys close in age means they will be great pals... and troublemakers, together.

Oh and I love Malia's hat too. :)

Song Brewer said...

Wow,you've been busy. So many fun projects! The rooms look great! We're so excited about another adorable aaron and hoku brewer niece!